I – Introduction
The 2019 – 2020 coronavirus pandemic is an ongoing pandemic of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). The outbreak was identified in Wuhan, China, in December 2019. On January 9th 2020, the first death case appeared in Wuhan because of SARS-CoV-2. On March 11th 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) announced officially, called “COVID-19″ is ” Global pandemic”. How do people react to Coronavirus? In general, one can say that Western is sedate, Eastern is resolute with COVID-19.
I- Coronavirus: An Overview
- Origin and Outbreak
The outbreak was identified in Wuhan, China. The temporary cause of the disease is confirmed by eating bat meat – one of the specialty dishes of Huanan wild animal market. Bat is a kind of animal which bring various dangerous germs such as: SARS virus or Ebola virus.
The reason for this outbreak is the Wuhan government’s ignorance and lack of understanding. Beginning from December 8th 2019, when the information about the first cases of the Huanan wild animal market was reported to the senior officer of Wuhan city,that cases all had a general name: “unknown flu” but they did not regard as an important problem to solve and quarantine those cases. They even believed that if there is an outbreak in Wuhan, they could handle it easily.
On January 4th2020, after having several cases were confirmed, Hongkong and Guangdong began preparing response measures urgently in a serious situation. However, at that time, Wuhan kept quietly made people believe that they had controlled the epidemic. Tourist events still were held. The Beijing Mayor informed that about 5 million people had left Wuhan before the outbreak.
- Information about virus
– Compared to the SARS genome, up to 82% of the RNA module is similar totally. From the current situation, it can be seen that the pathogen of the new virus is slightly weaker. Because the death rate is not as high as the previous day, about 3% (3 people get sick, 3 die), SARS is 10%, MERS is even worse, up to 35%.
-This virus spreads very fast (much faster than SARS).
-The virus is transmitted through body fluids from person to person such as saliva, sputum, and urine. It can even penetrate through the cornea, so wearing glasses is important.
– The virus has an incubation period of 14 days. During the incubation period, there may be fever, cough, shortness of breath, acute respiratory distress syndrome, septic shock … However, many cases are confirmed with no symptoms but the infection can still happen.
– The vast majority of people infected are middle-aged or elderly – people with poor resistance. This disease can disappear on its own if resistance is good
– No cure yet
II- People’s reaction
- How did the world react when a pandemic happened?
– China is one of the resolute Asian countries that blockade a number of cities, restrict tourism, build several hospitals.
– South Korea “declared war” on the new strain of coronavirus and set a budget of 10 billion USD to fight the epidemic.
– Japan canceled a series of major events.
– Many places like Hong Kong and Singapore organized big campaigns to propagate prevention.
– Europeans still seem to believe that COVID-19 is no more serious than normal flu and will be difficult to threaten daily economic and social life.
– By the end of February 2019, when Italy had more than 200 cases, 7 died and was the third largest outbreak in the world after China and South Korea, the UK still only advised people who traveled back from northern Italy to self quarantine at home if having flu-like symptoms. At that time, only France was the only country in Europe to apply the quarantine measures with people who return from Northern Italy.
– On March 10, when the epidemic had spread to all European Union (EU) countries, the bloc leaders organized an online meeting to discuss about solution to deal with COVID-19, but the main purpose is to reduce economic losses from the epidemic.
- What actions have the governments taken in prevention coronavirus?
In general, all schools and univerities are shut. Education can continue via e-learning. The government calls on people to stay at home unless necessary, avoid staying in crowded .Self- quarantine. All shops ans restaurants are closed, with the exception os grocery stores and pharmacies. Implement social distance. The borders among countries are closed temporarily.
– Before outbreak in the Western:
+It seems that COVID-19 is not a serious threaten. “So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!” – Donald Trump Twitter 9/3
+Meanwhile, the UK, having confirmed about 320 cases, said the country was still in the “containment” phase of the epidemic, which is still in stage 1 of the four anti-epidemic stages: containment, restraint,research and mitigation. At this stage 1, sports events were even allowed.
Holland Prime Minister Mark Rutte, until Tuesday night, March 17, 2020, declared that the government expected the corona virus epidemic to end itself when couldn’t find new people to infect, because half of the population was infected virus and naturally produce antibodies.
+ if Eaterner recommendation: Wear mask to protect yourself and other people, then from the Westerner perspective: Ordinary people do not need masks. So they even avoided people who wear mask because, in their view, masked people are infected.
+ In Italy: Anyone trying to move from one city to another has to complete and present a form stating their urgent reason for travel — work, health, family or returning home. Giving false information could be considered a crime, Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said . Large gatherings are forbidden.
+ In France: It is now at stage two of its action plan, meaning the focus is on detecting cases and trying to stop the spread of the virus. The health ministry announced Thursday that non-essential surgical operations would be delayed, in order to prioritize people suffering from the coronavirus. People need a paper to go out and it must not take longer than 1 hour. People returning from five affected locations (China, Iran, Northern regions of Italy, Singapore and South Korea) are placed in quarantine. The prices of hand sanitizers are controlled by law and the government has taken control of the production of face masks. All visits to residential care facilities for elderly people and long-term care units are suspended.
+ In Switzerland: More than 6,000 tests are being carried out in Switzerland per day and cantons have been ramping up their testing capacity. Switzerland has one of the highest per capita rates of testing in the world. The government especially recommends that the sick, and people 65 or older, stay at home. Some cantons have gone further by forbidding over-65s from leaving their homes altogether, except for visits to the doctors, or a two-hour solo walk.
+ In Vietnam: anyone who returns from the epidemic center must report and be isolated in an area to follow for 2 weeks. All costs are paid by the government. Those who decline to state can be convicted criminal law. For example, Patient No. 17 is the person who has gone through many epidemic centers but she used 2 passports to escape quarantine while Vietnam with only 2 weeks left could report the pandemic disappear completely in Vietnam. However, because of her, the cases increased quickly. This patient can be arrested or be punished an amount of money after being cured. Those who do not wear masks when going out will be fined 10 USD. Calling the community by the slogan: “Stay at home for your beloved country”. Provide free rice for people out of work due to coronavirus crisis.
+ In China: detect and quarantine people who have historically passed through Wuhan. Even in some places, scooping roads to ban cars from passing. Use the bus as a mobile supermarket to deliver food to every citizen’s home.
+ In Korea: Seoul capital of Korea opened convenient corona testing centers. People do not need to get off the car to go to the center, but just drive through a test window to be tested right on their seats. Open a special care area for Covid-19 infected people which 250 km away from Seoul and warn people to stay away from this area. A mask distribution policy applies to make sure anyone can buy a mask. People are allowed to buy masks from t2 to t6 according to the last number of the year of birth and 1 person can only buy 2 masks per week.
- Negative aspects of people’s awareness
– Asians are discriminated in Western
– In bangladesh: more than 10,000 Muslims illegally gathered in a field in the town of Raipur in Southern Bangladesh to pray, hoping to “drive” Covid-19 out of the country soon. They sat very close to each other, most of them didn’t wear masks.
– Despite the origins of the corona epidemic, Thai people still keep collecting bat manure with their homemade gloves and masks. This job helps them earn money although they can only get $ 1 for a kilogram of bat manure.
- Cultural values reflect the resident’s reaction in many ways
– Even when there is no epidemic, Asian has a habit of using masks when going out to avoid dust, pollution or ultraviolet rays. This habit made Asian become more proactive in wearing masks to prevent epidemics. However, for European culture, they think that only the people having disease can use masks.
– When a pandemic outbreak, Asian needs to buy commodities such as rice and noodle. The European needs to purchase toilet paper in priority.
– For the Communist Party like Vietnam or China, they can absolutely require those with symptoms to go for testing or quarantine. However, for most of the remaining countries led by the Democratic Party, such as South Korea or Western countries, they respect human freedom, so they cannot request quarantine or testing if people do not agree. That is also the reason why Korea was from more than 30 people infected after just one night has reached 346 people. It was from patient No. 31, who refused twice times to test despite signs of fever on the grounds with the reason that she had not traveled abroad.
- The consequences
The tourism industry is seriously affected. The airport is closed, causing flights to be delayed. Airlines could lose between 63 and 113 billion dollars in passenger revenue worldwide this year depending on how the corona virus spreads in tourist destinations. Moreover, because of its high population, Chinese tourists also make a large contribution to increasing the tourism income of countries.
Education is delayed: students are forced to quit school and study online at home. This makes it more difficult to acquire knowledge and to be effective as at school. Besides, the study plan as well as the exams will be postponed and last longer than the schedule.
The covid 19 virus has affected the global stock market. Stock prices around the world, especially Japan, decreased with the concerns about the economic impact of the new virus outbreak. covid 19 made many industrial centers were closed, causing damage to the business. China is both a major importer of goods and a part of complex supply chain. Currently, the world economy can witness a decline in growth since the global financial crisis a decade ago.
The Italian government passed a decree earmarking €25 billion to tackle the economic consequences of the virus.
To avoid a damaging economic downturn, the france government has pledged to protect companies by letting them delay tax and social payments.
The spain government has decreed that all people doing self-isolation will receive sick-leave benefits. the Spanish government announced a series of tax breaks representing a €14 billion injection into the economy. In addition, Prime Minister Sánchez pledged €3.8 billion to boost health care.
The U.K. Chancellor Rishi Sunak set out a £12 billion package of public spending and tax cuts to mitigate the impact of coronavirus.
=> stories, imagine future scenario for the topic. imagine the consequence in positive way.